Who Are We?
The Burnaby Early Childhood Development Community Table is an intersectoral committee that is comprised of key stake holders in the ECD community in Burnaby.
We are made up of individuals in Burnaby who are interested in supporting families with children in the early years (birth to age 6). Members include representatives from provincial ministries, the municipality, health region, school district, and non-profit agencies. We share information and sets priorities for programs and services.
The Burnaby ECD Community Table, initially called Children First, is a committee established in September 2003, with funding from the Ministry of Child and Family Development (MCFD). The funds were used to develop an ECD Strategic Action Plan for Burnaby.
Membership was solicited through the Burnaby Inter-Agency Council, a network of Burnaby service providers who have been meeting bi-monthly for over 30 years. The ECD Community Table was created as a sub-committee of the Council. ECD continues to be a standing agenda item at each Inter-Agency Council meeting.
Today, the Burnaby ECD Community Table consists of a group of over 30 representatives from government and non-profit community agencies providing programs and services to children from birth to age 6. Members of the Table continue to work hard to implement the goals and objectives of the Strategic Action Plan. The Table has actions teams working on projects related to training, funding, advocacy, neighbourhood-based resource development, and business and community engagement. Recruitment of new members to the Burnaby ECD Community Table is ongoing.
The following agencies currently participate, or have participated, at the Burnaby Early Childhood Development Community Table.
- Aboriginal Infant Development Program
- BC Association for Community Education
- Burnaby Association for Community Inclusion
- BC Centre for Ability
- Big Brothers of Greater Vancouver
- Boys and Girls Clubs of South Coast BC
- Burnaby Community Connections
- Burnaby Family Life
- Burnaby Hospice Society
- Burnaby-Deer Lake MLA – Anne Kang
- Burnaby-Edmonds MLA – Raj Chouhan
- Burnaby – North MLA – Janet Routledge
- Burnaby Literacy Now
- Burnaby Neighbourhood House
- Burnaby Pacific Grace Church
- Burnaby Public Library
- Burnaby School District #41
- Cameray Child and Family Services
- Canadian Outcomes Research Centre
- Canadian Red Cross
- Chinese Christian Mission
- City of Burnaby – Parks, Recreation, and Cultural Services
- City of Burnaby – Social Planning
- Community Living BC
- Deaf Children’s Society of BC
- Down Syndrome Research Foundation
- East Burnaby Family Place
- Elizabeth Fry Society
- Family Services of Greater Vancouver
- Fraser Health
- Health Canada
- Immigrant Service Society of BC
- Infant Development Program of BC
- Information Children
- The Lower Mainland Purpose Society
- Dixon Transition House Society
- Ministry for Children and Family Development
- Newcomer’s Centre
- Parent Support Services – Boys and Girls Clubs of BC (north Burnaby location)
- REACH Community Health Centre
- Simon Fraser University Child Care Society
- Spirit of the Children Society
- St. Leonard’s Youth and Family Services Society
- St. Matthew Day Care Society
- United Way of the Lower Mainland & Success by 6
- Vancouver & Lower Mainland Multicultural Family Support Services Society
- YMCA Child Care Resource and Referral
- YMCA of Greater Vancouver